At Middletons Hotel, we understand that sustainability is an important part of operating a responsible business. We strive to use innovation and craftsmanship to deliver great service in a way that is kind to the planet and allows us to be here for you for many years to come. We’re always looking at new ways to operate in a more sustainable way, here are a few of the things that we are doing right now.
- We’re working hard on recycling and waste reduction, including separate bins for general, plastic and paper waste in all bedrooms & conference rooms. We’ve been a member of WRAP since 2019.
- Our bedroom linens and towels replaced every third day for long stay guests, unless otherwise requested.
- We have vegan and vegetarian menus available.
Energy, Carbon & Water Reduction
- We use energy efficient guest room controls to help us be as efficient as possible across the hotel.
- We have energy efficient boilers to lower our carbon emissions.
- We have EV chargers on site.
- We are partnered with TIER electric scooters and have their scooters based at Middletons, providing sustainable electric transport around York.
- We have installed endotherm dosing to the closed hot water system, reducing our gas usage by up to 30%.
- We’re committed to changing all of our lighting to LED.
- We use aerated shower heads in our bathrooms to reduce wastewater and have moved to even more efficient 6 litres per minute shower heads in our refurbed rooms.
- We have water conservation measures in place, including capturing rainwater for irrigation in our gardens.
- We promote water-efficient landscaping throughout the grounds; including using low water use plants, designing and scheduling irrigation systems efficiently, grouping plants according to their water requirements and hardscaping external areas to encourage an efficient flow of water to plants & flowers.
- We’re reducing single use plastics throughout the hotel.
- Glass bottled water available from all outlets.
- No single use plastics in guest bedrooms. Re-fillable toiletries in all bedrooms and public area bathrooms.
- Guest bedroom milk & water bottles have been replaced with glass bottles and refill stations in the corridors.
- Paper straws in are in use at all food and beverage outlets.
- Pencils are used throughout all of our conference facilities rather than pens.
- Paper bags used for all takeaway items.
- All brochures & literature available online to reduce the need for paper brochures.
- All in room menus are available through the television, reducing the need for paper menus in guest bedrooms.
- We avoid unnecessary printing wherever possible.
- During the recent refurbishment of our Lady Anne’s building, we donated the old furniture, fixtures and fittings to local charities to be re-used and re-purposed, negating the need to send to landfill.
Sustainable Food and Drink
- We have local, sustainable and seasonal items available on our menus.
- We use responsibly sourced seafood where possible.
- We use organic eggs.
- We have food waste reduction program in place, any waste we do have is separated and recycled and converted to electricity through anaerobic digestion.
- We have a kitchen garden in our grounds, the items produced are used on our restaurant menu.
- We use Corovin systems to reduce wine & sparkling wine waste.
Biodiversity and Conversation
- Our gardens are planted with native plants, reducing the need for pesticides and waste water.
- We are focused on partnering with sustainable suppliers wherever possible.
- Suppliers are encouraged to reduce unnecessary packaging.
- We believe in quality and craftsmanship, adopting the mantra of do it well, do it once with all of our property refurbishments.
- We source materials from Britain to ensure quality and reduce the carbon impact of our investments.
- We create classic timeless designs meaning that our investments have lifespans and economic returns.
- We encourage long term business relationships with partners to ensure stability for both them and us.
- We’re proud to employ local people across our hotels and inns to help support our local communities with sustainable jobs.
- We recruit from diverse areas, partnering with HMPS on their ROTL scheme to offer sustainable jobs in the community.
- We invest in training and development of our team members, equipping them with the skills for a prosperous career in hospitality.
- We promote a positive and supportive work environment.